Jan 12, 2007

Lawsuits and Good Luck

What a wonderful morning. After a late wedding-party night, I woke up unusually early to take the train for an 8:15 doctor's appointment. I waited for the train in record-low temperatures. I missed the appointment anyway. Then, I staggered to work dead-tired and spent the morning researching libel law.

Yes, libel law! That's how swimmingly the wedding party went last night. I sat across from a particularly awkward co-worker, and by the end of the night I was actually afraid of being sued (by somebody else--not the co-worker). I won't give any more details, lest they amount to libel--what doesn't?--but suffice to say, I am extraordinarily grateful for this state's 1-year statute of limitations.

Nonetheless, the idea that there are people out there who truly hate me and appear to desire my ruin is rather distressing.

Such things would drive me mad with anxiety if not for how lucky I have been otherwise. My job may not be terribly exciting, but it is stable, and although I once despised my lazy unwillingness to find another job, I now realize that staying here was probably the right choice. For if I get into graduate school, my boss has offered to take care of my tuition if I keep working part-time. I say: and spare myself a hundred thousand dollars in student loans? Hell, yes! It is an offer I can't refuse.

And our boss is paying for M. and I to go to Hawaii soon on a work-related retreat having to do with M.'s work, not mine. My work, it seems, will involve eating lunch and exploring the island.

My flatmates are perfect; my apartment is perfect.

M. and I get along better by the week, and meanwhile he is poised for spectacular academic success.

I am now taking bets over what species of killjoy will next spoil my good fortune. An unforeseen lawsuit? E-coli? A dreadful bicycle accident? An affair? A rare tumor? Or an "unknown unknown," as Mr. Rumsfeld would say?

4 comments:

NL said...

The usual intruder into this sort of delirious normalcy is pregnancy.

So, the coworker was like "holy shit, they could totally sue you for libel", and it freaked you out?

penitent said...

Pregnancy, ew.

No, it was quite a bit scarier than that: a direct encounter with the potential plaintiff. The co-worker had nothing to do with it; he just added to the fun of the night by being so damn awkward.

By the way, if you still want to know about the Nature letter I'll have to know your email address.

Anonymous said...

Ah, what killjoy indeed. The last time I went looking for some dour cloud to hang around my door, I was reminded that everything I fear might happen is peanuts compared to what actually will happen. In light of this, hire a heavy hitter and head for the big island.

penitent said...

I might take my chances with the unknown unknown over the rare tumor, myself.