Apr 6, 2007

Beginning about now, I started taking pictures on a camera setting that produced speckled and discolored images. I tried to fix them in photoshop, but some of them are just crap photos that no amount of editing can save. Just to warn you.

The second course of the evening was foie gras terrine with cashew butter and brioche. We had to pay a hefty supplement for it, but given where we were, why the hell not. Along with it, we also ordered a half-bottle of dry Hungarian Tokaji (upper right of photo below), which was, unsurprisingly, delicious. The brioche was thick but airy as hell, and after I'd consumed half of it, the waiter whisked it away and replaced it with another because it was "getting cold."

The foie portion was actually quite large, and the terrine went along well with the cashews. Again, this was not shocking.

Moulard Duck "Foie Gras en Terrine": Cara Cara Orange "Supremes," Roasted Cashew Butter, Celery Branch and Toasted "Brioche"

Here is a closer, but still discolored shot of the foie gras:


The foie came along with a platter of three salts, so we could try all of them and choose whichever best "suited our palates." The one on the upper right was a coarse salt mined in Brittany. The one on the upper left was found at the depths of a copper mine in Montana. The one on the bottom was extracted from the waters of the Sea of Japan. A+ for storytelling!


The third course was a raw hamachi (yellowtail) dish with dungeness crab and vegetables. Very, very good. Soft, buttery hamachi; great crab; great rice; the "yuzu emulsion" sauce was tasty, too. Of everything on there, though, I thought the asparagus was the most perfect. This picture came out particularly discolored:

"Sashimi" of Japanese "Hamachi": Dungeness Crab, Sacramento Delta Green Asparagus, "Akita Komachi" Rice and Yuzu Emulsion


M.'s stepmom ordered the halibut instead; I didn't taste it, so I can't say anything about it. My guess is that it was good.

Fillet of Atlantic Halibut "Poche au Lait": Steelhead Trout Roe, Crispy Potatoes, Dill "Creme Fraiche," Pickled Red Onions and Watercress Puree

More is coming later; there's no way I'm finishing this today.

4 comments:

The Old Mule said...

You are "lucky". This whole replay has me beside myself. And what is for dinner here? Hmm. Raman or frozen Amy's pizza.

penitent said...

I happen to like ramen. I ate hundreds of those soups growing up; they were quite good when overloaded with Tapatio sauce and key lime juice. I used to buy them during my freshman year of college instead of resigning to the pernicious dorm food.

FL is probably better, though.

The Old Mule said...

Yeah, I ate them in college too. Now I am 32 and it's still dinner.

My vote for top dish is the Yellowtail. That looks perfect.

Have you tried Chez Panisse?

penitent said...

The yellowtail was great, but trust me, not the top dish.

I haven't been to Chez Panisse yet, but I plan on going eventually, unless I die or lose my taste buds.