Apr 14, 2007

I Live in Venezuela?

Photo 1, through a shop window in my neighborhood:


Photo two, from a BBC report on "Venezuela's informal economy," which I stumbled upon by chance the following day:


The last few days at work have been a banal hell of endless typing, staring at Excel documents until the contact lenses fuse to the eyeballs, shivering in an inexplicably air-conditioned room when the ambient air is damn well cold enough, explaining simple processes step-by-step to well-meaning but cripplingly unimaginitive middle management, slouching in a hard seat hour upon hour until the back aches, and a few of the other things that make office work so rapturously sweet that I wish I could keep doing it for ever and ever. I'm off to a good start---

3 comments:

The Old Mule said...

Welcome to America's formal economy. My sister went to Berkeley for grad school, and at graduation someone streaked naked across the stage with a banner that said "Welcome to the Machine".

Of course, you can always jump ship. Just have a thousand cash and a good idea.

The Old Mule said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
penitent said...

A thousand cash, just barely. I'm all out of good ideas, though.