Apr 6, 2007

Then, a cheese dish:Jasper Hill "Winnemere": "Choucroute," Granny Smith Apples and Blis Maple Syrup

Here is a link to a blog post whose author thinks this cheese is the "best [s/he's] tasted in years." I think the so-called Choucroute is the fancy sauerkraut above the cheese. The Winnemere was indeed very good, reminding me perhaps of a high-end Camembert (with the caveat that I've only eaten Camembert a couple of times, so I may be completely off). The maple syrup, so our waiter informed us, was aged in whiskey barrels somewhere in New England. The best single item on this plate, though, was the slice of Granny Smith apple, which was about twice as tasty as I'd ever expected an apple to be capable of.

Here is some French bread that arrived between courses:


Now, for the first of several desserts--not a sorbet or a sherbert, but a sherbet.


Field Rhubarb Sherbet: Cardamom-scented "Frangipane" and Cream Yogurt

The sherbet was the second-best dessert, and considering the absolute best (which I'll get to soon), that's high praise. It was both tangy, in a sweet-and-sour sort of way, and creamy-thick.

After the sherbet, the waiter asked if we wanted any coffee or tea. I thought it was odd that they offered us coffee before bringing out the bulk of the desserts; maybe it's a high-end thing. Anyway, I asked for espresso. Thus I violated two of my personal taboos: no caffeine at night, since I'm kind of an insomniac without the help of stimulants; and no plain coffee, because I find the taste so strong that I need to temper it with milk and sugar (i.e., I'm a huge pussy who orders hazelnut lattes). But once again, I reminded myself of where I was. So I ordered the espresso anyway.

It came in a dainty white cup that sat atop a "floating" saucer.


As I never drink espresso plain, I can't really compare this one with other espressos. But since I was capable of drinking it, and even enjoying it, I would guess that it compares quite favorably.

No comments: